Thursday, December 1, 2011

INKjETCiTY


I recently came into possession of a large format printer. It's an older model (epson stylus photo 1280). I've been unable to get it to print "correctly" as of yet (incompatible technologies perhaps).  Instead it prints random blocks & swatches in place of text or photos.  While attempting to get the printer to properly function; I started experimenting with these unique ink jet prints.
 

The first few pages I printed a word document & web page; layering the printing on the same page a few times. Next I began altering print settings & the page setup, I also randomly pulled the paper to create gaps & fill the whole length of the paper.

INKjETCiTY A
The first in the series, a diptych (one of two) I created the first night is probably my favorite in the whole series, the composition came together perfectly.


INKjETCiTY 1a
My second night I made these two triptych, emptying a full black & full color cartridge.
INKjETCiTY 2a


BEAT/CITY
The more I experimented with settings & made use of low ink levels the more I figured out how to get these random changes to work to my advantage.  I've gone through quite a bit of ink in the process; 3 color, 3 black in 3 nights.  

In the end I wound up with 15 individual 13" x 19" unique inkjet prints.

The remaining prints that aren't strong enough to stand on their own, I've begun to incorporate collage using 8.5" x 11" prints to add  more depth to the compositions.


I've been wanting to do something different for a while, just to refresh the creative flow and break up the pattern. This printer has done the trick.  It's similar to some of the work I did back in design school, experimenting with printers and scanners, more graphic. I've always been a huge fan of Peter Saville (& factory records).  I can see his influence is working here. These remaining prints are starting to look nice with the additional collage work. stay tuned.

Thanks for the equipment Amos.

No comments:

Post a Comment