Thursday, December 15, 2011

Obligatory Year In Review *2011 edition


2011's been a very good year to me.  This past spring I had work  in three concurrent Minneapolis shows; Hennes Art Company Inside Out: The Self Portrait Show, Altered Esthetics Flesh & Form, and SpotArt Spotesque.  This fall there was three more consecutive shows. I had another work for Altered Esthetics Fear Itself show, I Participated in the Raw: Minneapolis Pulse showcase at the Fine Line Music Cafe, and I wrapped up in Saint Paul at the AZ Gallery with Art Brawl.     
Here's my recap...





Opening Reception for Inside Out: The Self-Portrait Show
 at Hennes Art Company Saturday, March 12, 2011.

Most of the Artists made work specifically for the Inside Out show. I started "When My Good Eye Goes" in December and worked on it constantly up until the drop off date in March. John Schuerman contacted me in October (2010) about participating in the show. He had remembered me from my first show at the (now closed) Outsiders & Others Gallery. I jumped at the challenge of making something specific for a show. The pressure of creating something not only new, but personal, made me really step it up a few notches. 
When My Good Eye Goes ©JA2011

I received an extremely flattering review from John Megas in mplsart.com's  Turning the Inside Out at Hennes Art. It was an unbelievable show. I must say, Hennes Art Company puts on an impressive opening event. This show was a highpoint in my career, I'm very grateful to have been given the opportunity.





Opening reception for Flesh & Form 
at Altered Esthetic Friday, April 1, 2011
Altered Esthetics always has an incredible turn out for their shows.  Here's a look at some of the work I showed for the flesh & form show. AE has a very cool hanging system, love the look of it.






s p o t e s q u e  at spotArt gallery
friday, april 15, 2011 
One of my favorite galleries, I'm always happy to show there. They put together some really great shows and host a fun opening. I love the work they're hanging. Thanks SpotArt!





Fear Itself opening reception 
at Altered Esthetics Friday, October 7, 2011
For Fear Itself I showed "Dreams About Drowning" an impulsive earlier work about a series of recurring childhood nightmares.

Dreams About Drowning ©JA2006
I've been lucky to show at Altered Esthetics the past few years.  They're a great gallery for emerging artists to get connected to the community & receive exposure.






Raw:Minneapolis Pulse showcase 
at the Fine Line Music Cafe Thursday, October 13,2011
The Raw: Minneapolis pulse showcase was a one night event at the Fine Line. Using a music venue was a unique space to show & made for an interesting hang without the luxury of "walls".













RAW: natural born artists is a nationwide arts organization that plans & produces monthly art showcases in 20 major cities across the US to promote local, emerging talent.  Each Show consists of visual art, film, fashion, music, hair & makeup art, photography, models & performing art, the result is a multidisciplinary showcase of local independent talent. 







Opening Party for Art Brawl
at The AZ Gallery Friday, November 11, 2011



Art Brawl was my first show outside of Minneapolis, thanks to  the AZ Gallery located in Lowertown Saint Paul.  Lowertown is a really cool area, awesome architecture and good vibe, reminds me of parts Milwaukee.  The gallery is an awesome space too, what you'd imagine a modern, urban gallery to be.


Thank you to all the Galleries, Curators & Artists whose hard work made it all possible.  It was a privilege to work along side you.  And especially to all the friends & family who come out to show their support, I am always grateful to see you there.   Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment